New Releases List

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Kindle Daily Deal/Gold Box Promo

A couple of weeks ago I got exciting news that the first three books of The Righteous would be featured in on Amazon's Kindle Daily Deal. A few days before, they told me it would also be included in the Gold Box promo as well.

Sunday, March 18, the day of the promo, the three books shot into the top 10, eventually settling at #2, #3, and #4 in the overall Kindle store. The only book that remained ahead of them was The Hunger Games, which has not only held #1 in a vice-like grip for months, but was enjoying all the promo in the weekend before the movie release.

Three days later the books are still in the top 10, with The Righteous at #7, Mighty and Strong at #9, and The Wicked at #10. The only books ahead of them are Hunger Games books and the books from the 50 Shades of Grey erotica trilogy, which are getting a lot of press at the moment.

Obviously, I'm delighted to be getting my books in front of many new readers. The only fly in the ointment is that whenever you put yourself in front of thousands of new people who otherwise aren't your natural audience, you're bound to find a higher ratio of unhappy readers. I've avoided looking at new reviews for now and keep my head down working on the next book.

I've found this blog post very helpful. As they say, you can't please everyone.

In the meanwhile, if you've read and enjoyed the books and have been debating whether or not to write a review, this might be a good time to write one.

8 comments:

  1. I purchased the three books in the Righteous series when they were on the Kindle Daily Deal and just finished the last one. I have to say that I enjoyed all three. The information about polygamous sects was interesting. Great story line held my interest throughout. The cliff hanger at the end of "Wicked" came as a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too discovered this series when I purchased the books as the Kindle Daily Deal. Somehow I wasn't paying attention and read them out of order (#1, #3, #2), yet I still thoroughly enjoyed each one. I found this site searching to find out when book #4 was coming out. I'm glad to know the wait won't be much longer. Besides liking the stories themselves, I find myself invested in the characters of Jacob and Eliza and I'm really looking forward to more of their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sophie! I always appreciate a quick review on Amazon if you get the chance. No obligations, of course, I'm mostly just happy to hear you enjoyed the books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm another that purchased all three, and I really love Jacob and Eliza. I haven't started reading The Wicked yet but I am already planning to buy book #4. Thanks for writing these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Michael!

    There appears to be a strong correlation between free promotions and 1-star reviews. It seems that people who can download books for free take less care (or no care) to firstly ensure it is something they will enjoy, and when they don't, they respond with a bad review. This same principle might also apply with the Daily Deal. Don't let it get you down!

    Melanie Walsh
    Director, Membership Services
    Association of Independent Authors

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you get your book onto the Kindle Daily Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My publisher applied for the promo. Unfortunately, there's nothing that I could do to get another one, much as I'd like to. ;)

    ReplyDelete